Are you looking for a party game that will have the kids giggling, the grown-ups cracking up and grandma in hysterics? Pin the Tail on the Donkey is the game for you! Played and loved by all ages and guaranteed to provide plenty of chuckles. Download our free, printable pdf HERE and check out our guide below.
Why Pin the Tail on the Donkey is the BEST PARTY GAME
- Easy setup – You’ve had 30 party bags to fill, 100 balloons to inflate and 10,000 sandwiches to make. Now you have to set up the games and you are still lightheaded from all those balloons! No problem, Pin the Tail on the Donkey can be ready to go in 5 minutes.
- Simple rules – Classics are great, everybody knows what to do so the kids won’t start eating the cake and Grandad won’t nod off while you explain.
- Hilarious – Dad looks hysterical in his novelty blindfold, Aunties got lost and stuck the tail on the window and the kids have been spun around so many times they’re still walking in circles. This is a game all about playing and not about winning. None of the tense, music pausing, pressure of pass the parcel. No incredibly stressful judging of musical statues and don’t even get us started on musical chairs!
You Will Need to play
- Our Pin the Tail on the Donkey pdf.
- A printer – libraries often offer printing if you don’t have one at home.
- Something to stick the tails on with. We recommend blutack, double-sided sticky tape, rolled up sellotape or actual pins!
- A pen.
- A blindfold. You could use a tie, scarf or make some of our printable masks to match the theme of your party.
How to Play Pin the Tail on The Donkey
- Download HERE and print Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
- Hang the picture of the Donkey on a wall, door or fence at the height of your smallest player. Yes, Dad may have to crawl but that just adds to the fun!
- Cut out the tails and write one player’s name on each.
- Attach your sticking method to each tail. If you are using pins make sure you have hung your donkey on a corkboard or something that won’t be damaged. A large piece of cardboard from a present box would work. That is if your child hasn’t decided they prefer the box to the gift.
- Blindfold the first player and spin them around. Hand them their tail and send them off to try to pin it on the donkey. Make sure there is nothing nearby that they could trip over.
- Let each player have a turn. Don’t forget to get your camera out and record your players. Little ones love watching themselves stumbling about, trying to find the donkey.
- When everyone has had a turn, the winner is the person whose tail is closest to the right spot. Congratulations!
Now you’ve played a vintage game you can tuck into your classic party food. Cocktail sausages, your lovingly made sandwiches and, of course, jelly and ice cream to reward yourself for a job well done.
Did your whole family love playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey?
We have lots more free, printable games that everyone can enjoy. Try our brilliant bingo games, we have a set to suit almost every party theme! Get everyone moving and out of your hair with one of our super scavenger hunts. Or, calm things down with a quiet classic like Battleships, Snakes and Ladders or Dominoes.
Checkout our new pin the tail on the donkey game here